Sysax Product Forums / Sysax Multi Server / Bugs and Feature Requests / net use over ssh
Posted:  07 Nov 2008 13:36
Hi trying to use "net use" to map a network share after logging in remotely via ssh doesnt seem to work .
we are desperately looking for a ssh daemon which lets us do this for our company
Posted:  07 Nov 2008 13:38
Unavailable Y: \\mint\main Microsoft Windows Network
Unavailable Z: \\mint\main\vpathak Microsoft Windows Network
The command completed successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Vivek>z:
The system cannot find the drive specified.
Posted:  07 Nov 2008 13:39   Last Edited By: sysaxsupport
also..trying to use VanDykes SecureCRT to login to your sshd errors out. works fine with putty.

Anyway, now that i have typed my bug report and tested the various sshd servers available on the market. i've concluded yours is the best for us. Ours is a about 700 employee strong public company. We are in the process of automating our QA automation, and currently use cygwin/sshd. However as you must know already its a piece of crap. Most of the others suffer from the basic flaw, launching an application after sshing in launches it not as the logged in user by as "SYSTEM" user causing all types of issues. You were the only sshd provider (except goodtech) who we didnt face this problem with. Goodtech's configuration process was too complicated however. and they also failed the "net use". And since you do launch applications started after logging in under hte logged in users account everything else ran smoothly except for "net use" which blew up unfortunately. you also didnt support scp transfers but we could find an alternative way around that, provided the basic purpose of our automation, launching applications remotely works correctly. transferring files isnt rocket science , though scp would be a nice addition.
Posted:  07 Nov 2008 13:41   Last Edited By: sysaxsupport
Did you try typing in the net use command on the command prompt?
Posted:  07 Nov 2008 13:43
net use * /d wont work. wont dismount correctly.
putty times out and sshd doesnt close the connection cleanly.
Posted:  07 Nov 2008 13:45
It looks like you did a fairly extensive evaluation of products on the market. The porgram does launch the shell as the currently logged in user.
Based on your last posting, were you able to get the "net use" command to work and now you are having problems with the disconnect?
Posted:  07 Nov 2008 13:53   Last Edited By: sysaxsupport
I did net use via local shell, and then tried disconnect after logging in remotely. after nearly 3 days of testing and wishing to shoot myself I finally decided to file some bugs.

We are currently trying to automate our QA process, and hence our whole
lab...about 1000+ machines, maybe 500 (windows machines) machines. We have written our automation code for windows apps, however for distributed testing we need a controller machine to log in remotely to
these windows boxes and launch our automation applications.
For example. You have 3 windows machines
Win1 =3D Controller
Win2 =3D Client1
Win3 =3D Client2

Win1 logs in via ssh to Win2 and Win3. I starts Outlook on both Win2 and Win3 and sends emails from Win1 -> Win2 , and Win2 -> Win1, Compares to see what has been sent has been received. End of test.
This requires the following:
1. Ability to login via ssh and get a dos prompt (sshd) 2. Mount shares
to pick up the outlook attachments from a network share (net use) 3.
Launch Outlook (launch as the logged in user), which picks up
attachments using the share in step 2 4. Copy the logs of the test back to Win1 (scp). These are our main requirements. We are currently using cygwin/sshd. It has been painful, though we have managed, we were hoping to get some commercial sshd which does everything for us and is consistent and
stable. This is sort of an urgent requirement, so please let me know if there are any resolutions to my problems. If not we will begin our own workarounds using cygwin/sshd though its more effort, simply coz we cant find anything better, and its free (well technically with all the effort it needs to configure, I wouldnt call it that). Basically we need the remote shell to behave "EXACTLY" like a local
shell. Mapped drives should appear, applications should launch locally etc. since in case of errors in the automation it takes screenshots etc to pin-point the errors.
Posted:  08 Nov 2008 07:03   Last Edited By: sysaxsupport
we got your response. I have passed this on to our developers to investigate.
Also, what specific changes were you using with cygwin/sshd to get this to work in the past?
Posted:  08 Nov 2008 08:00
First problem I see I installed your server on my windows 2k3 server.
I used putty to login to it remotely.

Ping xxx.xxxx.com
Hit ctrl c
Hang on the remote machine...no longer can access the server

Also.now after doing this a couple of times...suddenly my password is no
longer accepted.
login as: administrator
administrator@2k3enterprise's password:
Access denied
Access denied
Access denied
this was working fine a few minutes ago..
Posted:  08 Nov 2008 08:07   Last Edited By: sysaxsupport
Is the other version of the server also installed on the same machine? If so please uninstall it before installing the pre-release version. There are a number of changes that went it for Windows Vista compatibility and so you cannot directly upgrade to the new version and keep your old settings.

What Windows service packs are installed on the Windows 2K3 machine that you are using? From talking to our developers it looks like this is related to the new Security mechanisms introduced for Vista.
Was the old version of the server working on this computer?
I have a newer version of the pre-release version for download at the same download area but I am not sure that this will address the particular issue you were seeing.
Posted:  08 Nov 2008 08:14   Last Edited By: sysaxsupport
Scp...well..desire is very much there coz all our scripts use scp so not having that would involve changing 1000's of lines of code everywhere. I didn't know scp was less secure, I thought it was the same as ssh.
Anyway I would love to test it out anyway if its stable enough, we might just use ftp or something to copy files over the network...i don't know will have to run the idea with all the chaps here in the qa dept.
Please do send me a link to the developers build whenever you can.
Posted:  08 Nov 2008 08:21
Version 4.3 beta of the server is now released and can be downlaoded from the download page. We expect this to support the "net use" command correctly.

Copyright © 2021 Codeorigin, LLC - All Rights Reserved.
XML RSS 2.0 XML Atom 1.0